Half-day mountain-bike or ebike tour at the “mulinaccio” with departure from Florence-Isolotto (northern district) by mountain bike / ebike to Villa I Lami in the Municipality of Scandicci, on a dirt road that leads to the Partingoli farm.
From here continue downhill along a dirt road between vineyards, until you reach Il Mulinaccio. Il Mulinaccio of Scandicci is one of the many suggestive and hidden places not reported in the tourist guides. This itinerary, extremely technically easy, leads us to this ancient abandoned building that had once been a hydraulic mill, whose construction dates back to the middle of the Seventeenth Century.
Architecture, now reduced to ruins, has a really interesting history. The Galli Family, owner of the nearby Villa dei Lami, built a dam along the Masseto in 1634 in order to create an artificial lake to create a plant nursery. A mill was placed next to the dam.
What is certain is that in 1774 every activity had officially ceased.
Today’s name is probably due to the state of neglect, as written in some documents of the Nineteenth Century where it is remembered as the ruined mill, which later became the Mulinaccio.
Today the ruins of this impressive building still function as a bridge between the two shores of the valley.
Full-day tour by mountain-bike or ebike, continue from the previous one tour, on the hills and towards the centennial sequoia. Around San Vincenzo a Torri – the place where the Mulinaccio is located, there are other places for bikers, passing in front of the Romanesque church of Sant’Andrea dating back to the Seventh Century in Mosciano borgo. Between 1926 and 1927 the British writer David Herbert Lawrence stayed there while he was writing the masterpiece of literature “Lady Chatterley’s Lover”.
A few kilometers away, scattered among oak, centennial sequoia and pine woods, there are other charming villages, such as San Martino alla Palma, with its Church of San Martino, of the late 10th Century, San Vincenzo a Torri and San Michele a Torri.